My Vacation HD FAQ
Before you buy
After you've bought
- I need help using the app - where can I get answers?
- Can I download the manual?
- I want to give you feedback - how do I do this?
- How can I get photos into My Vacation HD which I took elsewhere?
- How do I get photos and journals out of the app?
- How do I change the photo that appears on the cover of the trip?
- How do I move the photos around on a particular day?
- How can you create a PDF of your trip?
- How is My Vacation HD data backed up?
- I don’t get a matching location when I type xxxx in. What can I do?
- How do I change the temperature or distance units?
- The app crashes - what happened?
- How can I tell what version is running?
- Why do I get an error 403 when uploading to Blogger?
- Are new features going to be added soon?
What does My Vacation HD do?
My Vacation HD is an iPad travel app that allows you to create a plan, journal and share your trip all from your iPad. See Features for more details.
Where can I buy it?
My Vacation HD is available from the App Store in all stores for a price equivalent to $4.
Where do I get news about My Vacation HD?
I need help using the app - where can I get answers?
- Help can be found in the app, by clicking ‘Help’ on the page where you see the list of Vacations/Holidays.
Send an email to Jasper Apps Support.
Can I download the manual?
I want to give you feedback - how do I do this?
- Through the Contact page at the top of this site
- Within the app
- Go back to page showing list of trips
- Click on Help
- Click on the output button on the bottom toolbar
- Choose Send Email to Support
- Fill out the details (your device and app information is pre-filled to help with the query)
- Directly sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I get photos into My Vacation HD which I took elsewhere?
Sync the photos from your desktop computer to your iPad. You should see them in the Photos App.
- For videos ensure you tick 'Include Videos' in iTunes before syncing.
On the relevant day, click to add a new photo. Then select the photos or videos you want to import.
Note: Photos synced to the iPad may be reduced by iTunes, and the size of them in My Vacation HD depends on the size selector (Small/Medium/Large) at the bottom of the table showing the photos.
How do I get photos, videos and journals out of the app?
Click on this chart for full details:
How do I change the photo that appears on the cover of the trip?
This is determined by which photo you have rated the highest. This influences the trip cover photo, the cover photos for each day, and which photos get into the top 10 on the film roll. To change the rating go into the Photo page and increase the 'heart' rating.
How do I move the photos around on a particular day?
On the day the photos appear, go to the menu showing the list of photos. Held in landscape this is the left hand side, in portrait click on the top left button 'Day List'.
Click on 'Edit' at the top of the menu and from the list of photos, drag the photo using the move control on the right of the cell.
How can you create a PDF of your trip?
There is no specific PDF option. However, any method that ends up being displayed on a browser (e.g. View On Desktop, Blogger, Wordpress, Dropbox) can be saved to PDF from the browser. With the browser showing your trip, click on File -> Print... Then on a Mac, click on PDF -> Save as PDF. On PC, there should be a printer driver that saves to a PDF rather than actually print.
How is My Vacation HD data backed up?
Every time you sync with iTunes all application data is backed up. When this happens the last backup is replaced unless you have specifically saved a particular backup. If you do need to restore, note the whole state of the phone is restored. If you need to resort to this read: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414 for instructions (see Backing up your iPad section)
By publishing via one of the many options described in this FAQ. The only way for a full backup is to send the trip to another instance of My Vacation e.g. the iPhone app My Vacation or another iPad.
I don’t get a matching location when I type xxxx in. What can I do?
Having a matching location is helpful, not just in saving you typing time, but also so its map location can be found.
The place names and locations are found by using a look-up using Geonames service. This has a huge database but sometimes will not have smaller places. In case there is no internet connection of in the rare case that Geonames service is not available there is a database of major cities stored within the app.
If Geonames doesn’t recognise the place:
Type it in anyway and click on Save.
You will be prompted to move map center to where the place is.
Zoom in to where the location is and the pin in the center of the screen will be used as the position.
Please let us know if you encounter this problem with a place you would expect to be available.
How do I change the temperature or distance units?
Press the Home button to quit the app
Find the Settings app
Scroll down to My Vacation
Change to correct setting
The app crashes - what happened?
If the app crashes, you can help us diagnose the problem by enabling crash reporting. See this blog post.
How can I tell what version is running?
Access the in-app help by clicking ‘Help’ on the page where you see the list of Vacations/Holidays. Click on the 'action' button on the bottom toolbar and bring up an email to support. From here the current version is auto-filled in for you.
Why do I get an error 403 when uploading to Blogger?
You may get this error if you enter in the wrong username and password details. We have also encountered this when a user has exceeded their allowed space on Picasa. Whenever you upload photos to Blogger the photos are stored in Picasa (all under the same Google account). If you exceed 1Gb you need to make some space or upgrade.
Are new features going to be added soon?
There will definitely be plans for further updates and I have some exciting features in the pipeline.